Saturday, November 27, 2010

Cake Pops!



For my Birthday, my mom (with a little help from my sister) assembled a cake pop kit which she gave me along with Bakerella's cake pop book.



The kit had everything I needed to make cake pops: candy melts, frosting, cake mix, edible markers and lollypop sticks. She had even made a cake the day before so we could get started with the fun right away.

We crumbled the cake



Then we added the frosting so the crumbled cake would stick together. The key is for it to be just sticky enough, but not to add so much frosting that it gets too moist. I found that it felt a bit like raw sugar cookie dough.

It needs to be tasted! Yum!



The next step was to roll the new "dough" into 1 1/2 inch balls or so, place them on a tray to chill. We could have put them in the refrigerator for a few hours, but we're impatient, so we just popped them in the freezer for 15 minutes or so.

After we chilled them in the freezer, we melted the candy melts in the microwave. We used blue and white. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.


We put the cake balls on the lollypop sticks and dipped them in the candy. Some of mine weren't too smooth at first, but they were still delicious. I got better as we went on. Don't worry too much and just have fun.


Some of the pops got sprinkles, some stayed plain, three or four got decorated with the edible markers.


They were a big hit for my birthday and they were an absolute blast to make. We kept it simple this time, but for next time, I'm thinking Pirate Pops! (and maybe a smaller batch)


1 comment:

  1. That was sooooooooo much fun, making the cake pops, lets do it again soon! Let's try chocolate cake with chocolate coating, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!~mom~

    ReplyDelete