Saturday, August 22, 2009

Breathe.

I’m back to my problem of not starting, back to my habit of delaying, delaying, delaying, until the moment has passed and I no longer even have the chance of beginning. Waiting for the perfect moment, tomorrow always seems better than today, in a minute seems better than right now. But really, what better moment is there than right now? What better chance will I have than right now? This time, what I’ve been putting on hold is a technology/media break. My brain needs a way to slow down, to relax, to sleep. With constant access to the internet, my iPod, television, radio, movies, and books, there is a practically unceasing flow of information through my brain. Sometimes it’s good to sever that information stream and let yourself just be. I won’t have as much chance to do this once school starts, so now is the time, but I’ve been putting it off for weeks. There just always seemed like a better time. But there is no better time, or if there is, that time is now: so for the next two or three days I’m turning off my laptop, putting away my ipod, leaving the television off and (this is going to be the hardest for me) leaving my books on the shelf. I’m in need of some downtime. Not from work or school, but just from the constant information onslaught that is modern life. There’s always room for flexibility, like going to see a movie with an old friend, but for the most part, I’m planning on moving outside of the flow for the next few days. It’s time to BE.

No comments:

Post a Comment